Lily, from the Latin Lílium, refers to the popular bulbous plants from the Liliaceae family or Liliaceae. This flowering plant is grown as a room and garden crop in most countries, including Russia, but quite often problems can arise during the cultivation process. In order to minimize the negative consequences for the lily, it is necessary not only to determine the cause of the disease of the lily in a timely and correct manner, but also to know what needs to be done in each particular case.
Lily Growing Problems
Lilies are among the fairly simple to maintain and unpretentious plants, so experienced amateur gardeners do not have problems with this bulbous perennial. However, there is always a risk of plant disease, and, if the lilies have turned yellow or stained with leaves, and their turgor has decreased or twisting is observed, parameters such as soil composition or regime of irrigation measures should be adjusted.
Quite often, decorative Lílium flowering plants are affected by diseases or are attacked by various plant parasites, which also negatively affects their appearance and vitality. There are several reasons why leaves turn yellow on wilderness crops, and the preservation of the health of a decorative indoor or garden plant depends on the most rapid and correct determination of the causes of such violations.
Why leaves turn yellow and dry
The aerial part of the lily turns yellow or the leaves dry for several reasons, among which there may be errors in the care of a decorative culture, or plant damage by various diseases or pests:
- The defeat of the Lílium culture Fusarium or soft rot is accompanied by a significant slowdown in the growth and development of the plant. Yellowing is initially observed on the lower leaves, after which it quickly spreads to the upper part. Most often, the undeveloped apical part of the stem is affected by rot. In this case, the yellowness of the leaves is accompanied by blackening of the apex. As a rule, such a disease is provoked by long and very heavy rains.
- The first sign of a lily defeat late blight is brown spotting on the stems, and the leaves in this disease quickly yellow and fall from the plant. When examining the bulb, spots and areas of decay of the scales are noticeable. The disease is very dangerous for lilies and often causes the death of plants in a short time.
- Another likely cause of yellowing of lily leaves may be a defeat of the decorative culture by such a pest insect as leaf nematode. Damage to the plant, in addition to yellowness and drying of the leaves, is accompanied by slow growth and the absence of flowering lilies. The nematode settles between the scales on the bulb, so it can be extremely difficult to detect a plant parasite in a timely manner.
Lily Pests: Fight (video)
As preventive measures, it is recommended:
- comply with the rules of crop rotation and cultivation of Lílium;
- provide a flower culture with all the nutrients necessary for full growth and development, including trace elements;
- select the most resistant varieties for planting and growing;
- timely soil treatment;
- use immunomodulators for prophylactic treatments - “Immunocytophyte”, “Zircon”, “Epin”, humates or “Eco-gel”.
For the treatment of flower beds, folk remedies and chemical preparations can be used.
Why do the leaves curl
More rarely than yellowing, amateur gardeners are faced with the problem of strong curling of leaves. At the same time, their green staining is preserved. The reasons for such changes are most often the following:
- the response of the decorative culture to errors in care or external factors, including low temperature conditions;
- the presence of constantly moist soil in the flower bed or flower pot, which causes the formation of soil crust and impairs air access to the root system;
- damage to the inner side of the leaves by small sucking or gnawing plant parasites;
- defeat of lily by viral diseases.
Depending on the cause, it is recommended to immediately carry out appropriate simple preventive or therapeutic measures:
- to treat the lily with any anti-stress agents, including the well-proven Zircon drug;
- adjust the scheme of irrigation activities;
- without fail to use mulch or carry out shallow loosening of the soil after rain or watering to provide the root system of plants with air;
- treat ornamental plants with insecticides or modern acaricides.
If the torsion of leaves is noted on indoor lilies, it is advisable to transplant with a complete replacement of the soil mixture.
Diseases of improper care
Changing the appearance of lilies is not always associated with damaging factors. Quite often, an ornamental plant suffers as a result of improper care, including non-compliance with diet and watering. Some of the most common problems caused by breaches in growing technology include the following:
- yellowing on the leaves between the veins can be observed with excessive soil acidity in the growing area;
- on poorly drained soils, excessive moistening of the bulb and root system is noted, which causes a change in leaf staining;
- damage to the aerial part of the lily by late spring frosts often causes deformation of the leaves or curvature of the stem part of the plant, most often this problem accompanies the cultivation of tubular hybrids.
No less problems can cause a lack of iron in the soil, or chlorosis, which is especially noticeable on young leaves of lily. In this case, the aerial part of the plant acquires uncharacteristic yellowness. Deviation can occur when growing lilies on calcareous soils with a high level of acidity or when the soil is waterlogged. To correct the situation, it is necessary to carry out root or foliar fertilizing with iron.
Lilies: growing and care (video)
Another reason for the change in color and appearance of Lílium leaves is an insufficient or excessive amount of nitrogen, therefore, when choosing fertilizers, one should carefully consider their composition and strictly follow the feeding scheme recommended by the decorative culture growing technology. If agricultural technology is fully observed, the lily will be healthy and beautiful.