Spathiphyllum, or Spathiphyllum, is a perennial herb evergreen with bright and shiny leaves, no more than fifteen to twenty centimeters long. Caring for a room decorative culture of spathiphyllum is simple, and the conditions for growing the plant are quite simple. Changes on the leaves are most often the result of a strong violation of cultivation technology.
Growing conditions and care
Indoor cultivation of several varieties of Spathiphyllum, which can differ quite a lot not only in appearance, but also in conditions of detention:
- profuse blooming spathiphyllum, or Spathiphyllum floribundum;
- canniferous spathiphyllum, or Spathiphyllum cannifolium;
- Spathiphyllum Wallace, or Spathiphyllum wallisii;
- hybrid spathiphyllum "MaunaLoa";
- hybrid spathiphyllum "Variegata";
- hybrid spathiphyllum "Mozart".
However, there are general requirements for growing the Spathiphyllum ornamental culture at home, adhering to which you can get a very spectacular and beautifully flowering, unpretentious plant:
- when choosing a place for this indoor flower, it is necessary to take into account that the temperature regime in the room should not fall below 16 ° C, and a temperature below 10 ° C is detrimental to the decorative culture;
- the most suitable planting substrates for spathiphyllum are prepared soils for growing aroid crops or universal soil with the addition of drainage;
- the thickness of the drainage layer should be two centimeters, and the lack of high-quality drainage often causes stagnation of water in the soil and rotting of the root system;
- the diameter of the flower pot for spathiphyllum should slightly exceed the size of the root system of the plant;
- a very voluminous planting container adversely affects the flowering of a decorative culture, so it will be optimal to grow a flower in a shallow ceramic pot with high-quality drainage holes;
- indoor culture feels best when grown in partial shade, therefore, it is recommended to place flower pots on dimly lit windows;
- optimal placement on the east or west side with the presence of quality protection from the negative effects of direct sunlight;
- spathiphyllum is especially needed during dry and hot summers;
- watering should be relatively moderate, and they should be carried out as the topsoil in the flower pot dries;
- water for irrigation is required to use room temperature and be sure to stand or boiled.
Spathiphyllum: growing and caring (video)
In the spring and summer periods, indoor culture needs a temperature regime of 20–24 ° С. In winter, the room temperature should not be lower than 16−18 ° C. A beneficial effect on the growth and development of spathiphyllum is provided by the content in the summer in the open air. Daily changes in temperature indicators and natural humidity can stimulate abundant and prolonged flowering.
It is necessary to feed the plant Spathiphyllum at the stage of active growth and development of the plant (the period from the first ten days of March to September). Experts recommend applying mineral complex fertilizers and organics three times a month. It is the lack of fertilizer in the early spring that often causes the lack of flowering indoor culture.
Very important protect spathiphyllum from the harmful effects of drafts; you should not take the plant to open balconies in the cold season and often rearrange indoor culture to another place. An amateur gardener should do regular inspections of the plant and at the first changes in appearance, as well as, if the plants fade, carry out all the necessary medical or preventive measures.
Why leaves are limp and drooping
To determine why the leaves of the Spathiphyllum plant are sluggish or drooping, you should first evaluate the correctness of the care of the room culture. The plant withers in the following cases:
- insufficient indicators of humidity of air or soil;
- waterlogging of the soil;
- direct exposure to sunlight;
- failures in temperature indicators;
- the presence of parasitic lesions;
- improperly sized flower pot.
If spathiphyllum wilted and lowered the leaves, then it is necessary to review the microclimatic conditions and irrigation regime, as well as to verify the need for shading of the plant from the negative effects of sunlight. In some cases, the leaves not only fade, but also curl.
Reasons for curling leaves
If the leaves are twisted on a Spathiphyllum plant, and even with full adherence to the growing technology, the indoor flower does not straighten them, It is recommended to pay attention to the following circumstances:
- plant leaves curl at too low air temperature;
- torsion can be observed when the flower pot is located on a cold windowsill;
- the plant may not have enough sunlight for full growth and development;
- often enough, leaf torsion is the result of the negative effects of drafts.
It should be borne in mind that torsion is often a kind of varietal feature of room culture. In spathiphyllum, young leaves can come out twisted into a tube and only then straighten. However, most likely, indoor decorative culture is severely damaged by ordinary aphids. In this case, it is best to treat the plant with a modern and very effective preparation "Actellic".
How to transplant spathiphyllum (video)
Why does a plaque appear on the leaves
If plant parasites, plaque or cobwebbed formations are found on the leaves of Spathiphyllum, it is advisable to treat the houseplant with special insecticides based on pyrethrum. As a rule, such treatments are carried out twice a month until the complete destruction of pathogenic microflora or pests. After treatment, the Spathiphyllum plant needs careful and attentive care.