Currently, there are about seventy diseases and pests that can have a negative effect on currant bushes. The processing of currants in the spring from diseases and pests is one of the most important agrotechnical methods, allowing to maintain the health of berry plantations and to obtain a high-quality, plentiful crop. As a rule, treatment or measures to protect shrubs are carried out in early spring.
Standard care for berry plantings includes the preventive treatment of diseases and plant parasites, which is carried out several times during the growing season of black and red currants. The first time to process berry bushes should be in the early spring. Of course, it is impossible to predict which of the harmful factors the plant will hit in the coming season, so it is very important to carry out comprehensive plant protection.
When choosing a product for such treatments, it is very important to consider the fact that during flowering it is not recommended to use strong chemicals, which often cause burns to flowers, and are also detrimental to beneficial pollinating insects. Also, during prevention, it must be remembered that the greatest effectiveness of the funds used is observed with strict adherence to the timing and treatment scheme. Proper conducting of spring spraying can not only rid the currant bushes of most pests and parasites, but also allow the berry plantations to develop fully and have good fruiting.
The treatment of garden plantings has some differences from preventative measures. When treating berry shrubs, plants must be treated for a specific disease and as soon as possible. The faster the affected plant is detected and the damage factor is diagnosed, the more effective the fight against the disease or plant parasite will be.
If prevention involves a complex effect on a number of damaging factors, then with therapeutic measures the effect of the selected drug is narrowly targeted and allows you to save the berry plantings from a specific pest or pathogen. During treatment, it is necessary to correctly differentiate the lesion, to correctly choose the scheme of therapeutic measures and the active substance.
Currant: how to protect from pests (video)
The scheme and processing technology of black currant
Blackcurrant is one of the most popular berry crops in our country and is successfully grown not only by experienced but also by beginner domestic gardeners. The standard scheme of preventive measures involves not only meeting the deadlines for processing berry stands, but also the right choice, as well as the use of the drug.
For supporters of organic farming, the use of folk remedies is allowed, but such infusions based on natural components do not always have the proper effectiveness. In any case, experienced gardeners recommend the use of insecticides of the lowest hazard class. The process of processing blackcurrant bushes includes activities in early spring, during flowering, after flowering and after harvest.
The plant treatment scheme is as follows:
- in March, before budding, a sufficiently saturated solution of copper sulphate or copper chloride is sprayed. The processing should be three times, with an interval of two weeks;
- at the stage of the appearance of the first leaves, the preparations are processed with such preparations as “Aktara”, “Decis”, “Angio”, or “BI-58”;
- at the stage of bud awakening and at the first signs of flowering, a tank mixture based on Epina and humic solutions is treated. The processing procedure is carried out three times, with an interval of a week;
- at the stage of ovary formation, it is recommended to carry out treatment with the Epin preparation, which should be supplemented with foliar or root top dressing of the berry shrub;
- after harvesting, the plants should be treated with a mixture of copper chloride and humic preparations.
In the late autumn period, a Bordeaux mixture is processed, which is carried out after the removal of fallen leaves.
Scheme and technology for processing red currant
It is possible to process bushes of red-fruited currants in accordance with the spraying scheme of black currants, therefore if necessary, conduct a more gentle prophylaxis should prepare the following formulations:
- chop 0.4 kg of dandelion leaves, and pour 10 liters of water at room temperature. Insist for about five days, then strain and carry out the treatment;
- fill the bucket with chopped flowering wormwood and pour water at room temperature, then bring to a boil and cool the broth. After straining, the working solution should be diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 1 and the berry shrub should be treated;
- chop 4-5 kg of tomato stepsons and pour water in an amount of 10 liters. Boil the resulting mass for five minutes and dilute with water in a ratio of 1: 2.
Also, infusions based on onion peel and chopped garlic or tobacco leaves have very good effectiveness. The use of herbal solutions allows you to get a crop with the best quality indicators, without the accumulation of harmful chemical components.
Depending on the varietal characteristics and variety of currant, it is very important to observe the technology of growing a berry culture. General rules for growing berry crops require regular soil loosening around the plant, the systematic destruction of weeds, top dressing of the berry culture and pruning in accordance with the plant's agricultural technology.
Currant: growing and care (video)
Strict adherence to growing technology allows you to extend the productive age of the berry culture and contributes to the annual and plentiful harvests of quality berries.