Tomato "Roma" belongs to the category of determinant vegetable crops and perfectly adapts to almost any weather conditions. The variety description and its general characteristics given by the SeDec originator declare resistance to verticillosis and fusarium infection, as well as good fruit density indicators, thanks to which the harvested crop is not only able to maintain marketable appearance and taste for a long time, but is also suitable for long-term transportation .
Characteristic and Description
Mid-season tomato "Roma" has excellent taste and marketability, It is also characterized by excellent keeping quality and a long fruiting period. The period from seedlings to the beginning of fruit ripening takes about four months.
Tomatoes of this variety are red, very fleshy, tasty pulp, have a very attractive plum form. The average mass of marketable fruit reaches 65-75 g. Bushes of the determinant type, with a height of not more than 0.6-0.7 m, compact and very convenient to care for. Average yields under favorable weather conditions and compliance with the cultivation technology are 12-15 kg per square meter.
Then and how to plant
The best predecessors for tomato varieties "Roma" are garden crops such as cucumbers, zucchini, carrots, cauliflower, parsley and dill. Tomato cultivation is carried out in seedlings. The technology for producing high-quality seedlings is as follows:
- the soil substrate must necessarily contain forest or garden soil, sand, humus, and also wood ash;
- it is allowed to use ready-made soil suitable for growing any garden crops, or special soil for tomato seedlings;
- Self-prepared soil substrate should be calcined in the oven or spilled liberally with a hot solution of potassium permanganate;
- prepared and decontaminated soil, it is necessary to fill any landing tanks, which must have high-quality drainage holes;
- soil with insufficient moisture should be moistened abundantly and slightly tamped;
- in landing tanks you need to make neat grooves with a depth of not more than 1-1.5 cm with a distance of 4-5 cm from each other;
- it is necessary to sow tomato seeds with an interval of 2-3 cm, sowing in individual peat pots is also allowed.
Tomatoes "Roma": variety description (video)
In order to get the highest quality seedlings of tomatoes, it is very important to carry out pre-sowing treatment of seed material.
- Heat treatment of seeds is allowed at a temperature of 50 ° C for 20-25 minutes, followed by cooling in cold water. Then the seeds should be soaked for a day in a solution based on Epin or another growth stimulant.
- A good result is observed when using the method of seed dressing in a 1% solution of pharmacy potassium permanganate for ½ hour. Next, the decontaminated seed material is soaked for a day in a solution of the Epin or Zircon preparation.
Experienced gardeners recommend pre-sowing seed treatment with solutions based on "Ideal", "Gumi", "Epina-Extra", "Stimulus", "Ideal", "Barrier" or Bud. It is important to remember that many seed producers sell planting material that has already been processed, as noted on the packaging.
Despite the unpretentiousness of determinant tomatoes, qualitative characteristics of the soil at the landing site are of great importance, and best of all, if planting seedlings will be carried out on ridges with fairly light and fertile soil. To plant plants in a permanent place, you should prepare holes, the depth of which is determined by the height of the root system of seedlings.
Strong and low seedlings need to be planted at a right angle, and for overgrown seedlings, an optimal landing is at an angle of 45 °. When planting determinant varieties formed in one stem, planting density is 6-10 plants per 1 m2. To grow a determinant tomato, formed in two or three stems, about five plants are planted per square meter.
A tomato called "Roma" is grown mainly on ridges of open ground or with the use of temporary film shelters. The growing technology is very simple and consists in observing the following rules:
- it is recommended to timely and competently carry out pinching, forming a plant in one or two stems;
- watering should be done a couple of times a week, taking into account weather conditions and the development phase, spending about three liters of water per tomato bush;
- use warm water for irrigation;
- water tomatoes in open ground should be exclusively under the root;
- the first feeding is carried out with a solution based on 0.5 l of liquid mullein and 1 tbsp. l nitrofoski diluted in 10 l of water, with a flow rate of 0.5 l per plant;
- the second feeding is carried out with a solution based on 0.5 l of bird droppings, 1 tbsp. l superphosphate and 1 tsp. potassium sulfate, diluted in 10 l of water, with a flow rate of 0.5 l per plant;
- the third feeding is carried out with a solution based on 1 tbsp. l potassium humate and 1 tbsp. l nitrofoski.
It is also necessary to systematically remove weeds, carry out soil loosening and carry out preventive spraying against diseases and pests.
Tips and reviews of vegetable growers
Tomato varieties "Roma" has proven itself when grown in open ground, as well as in film shelters. Reviews of vegetable growers about this variety of tomatoes are mostly positive. The harvested crop is suitable for use both fresh and after heat cooking. Fruits are ideal for whole-canning, salting, and also suitable for drying and freezing.
Tomatoes: planting seedlings in the ground (video)
According to gardeners, a feature of this promising variety is the absolute undemanding care. The second wave of vegetative growth on tomato bushes "Roma" occurs much earlier than on superdeterminant varieties, almost immediately after the formation of fruits on the first inflorescences. The implementation of standard care allows you to get a crop at the level of 7 kg / m2. The variety called "Roma" is perfect for cultivation in home gardening and is recommended for beginner growers.