The early ripening bee pollinated cucumber "Hector" from the originator Nunhems is included in the State Register of the Russian Federation and is recommended for garden plots, as well as for home gardens and small farms. The hybrid form is ideal for growing on ridges in open ground.
The hybrid form of the cucumber called "Hector" is characterized as early ripe, with the friendly formation of the crop, smoothness of greens, high palatability and resistance to disease.
The bushes are very compact, medium-braided, with bundles of ovaries. Fruiting abundant and friendly, occurs on average after 30 days. The length of Zelentsy is about 10-12 cm. The surface is coarse, white-spiked. The Zelentsov cylindrical shape. The average weight of marketable greens is 95-100 g. The pulp is juicy and crispy, with a pronounced aroma.
Advantages and disadvantages
Hector cucumber differs from other new hybrid forms in a significant amount of positive characteristics:
- ultra-early, or superearly, with the first ovary over the 3-5th node;
- high productivity;
- good taste characteristics;
- good transportability and keeping quality;
- suitable for fresh consumption, canning and pickling;
- resistance to peronosporosis;
- easily withstands short-term temperature drops.
The hybrid form is suitable for growing in open ground and in greenhouses. The total yield per square meter is at least 3.9-6 kg.
Cucumber "Hector": features of the variety (video)
Cucumbers of the hybrid form "Hector" do not differ in cultivation technology from any other cucumber varieties and hybrids:
- proper sowing of cucumbers involves the location on each square meter of no more than six plants;
- it is important to observe crop rotation and not grow this vegetable after pumpkin crops;
- it should be remembered that if the seeds are planted with the nose down, the sprouts will germinate from the soil with an unbroken shell, which can reduce the quality of the plants;
- cucumbers can be immediately sown in the ground with seeds, but in order to get the first crop of a vegetable crop earlier, it is better to grow seedlings in a greenhouse or at home;
- to obtain high yields of cucumbers, the soil must be fertile, loose, well permeable to air, water and heat, and acidic and heavy soils for growing this vegetable crop are of little use. In addition, groundwater in the area under the cucumbers should lie at a depth of 1.5-2 m;
- optimal temperature indicators for growing cucumbers are at least 20-28 ° C during the day and about 15-18 ° C at night, and when frozen to -0.5 ° C, cucumber plants may die;
- ribbon crops not only facilitate the care of plants, but also contribute to optimal nutritional conditions;
- you can adhere to the sowing scheme of 90 × 50 or 120 × 60 cm, with a sowing depth of not more than 3-4 cm, and peat, dung humus and sawdust must be added to the soil before digging.
The hybrid form grows well when grown on fertile soils, subject to optimal planting dates.
The rules for the care of cucumbers "Hector" allow you to get a high yield, subject to the following measures:
- The organization of proper watering of cucumbers is very important, therefore, during fruiting irrigation should be most plentiful; the most modern way of watering cucumbers is to use the drip irrigation system, which is most relevant when growing this vegetable crop in greenhouses. Proper irrigation is based on regularity, timeliness, as well as normalization, depending on the type of soil, temperature factors and stage of plant development.
- When choosing fertilizers for feeding greenhouse cucumbers, it is best to give preference to those in which nitrate nitrogen is completely absent. Mineral fertilizers should be composed of a large number of nutrients that are easily digestible for cucumbers. Such dressings alternate with the introduction of organic matter.
- Regular weeding of cucumbers should be carried out, which must be supplemented by the removal of all yellowed lashes and leaves, and, if necessary, by thinning.
Experienced gardeners recommend using mulch when growing cucumbers. The layer of organic mulch is not only a source of additional nutrition, but also serves to protect plants from the active growth of weeds and helps maintain optimal soil moisture.
Hector cucumbers are pretty popular among gardeners, and reviews are very good. The seed material of this hybrid form of the Dutch selection from the Agropack company is very much appreciated. A week after sowing, the seed shows 90-95% germination. With regular watering and mulching, cucumbers grow very quickly without the use of any mineral fertilizers.
How to grow seedlings of cucumbers (video)
Gardeners noted such positive qualities of the hybrid form as prolonged and plentiful fruiting, as well as almost one hundred percent seed germination. As disadvantages, one can note the low location of Zelentsy and the lack of demand by consumers during implementation.