Phlox splayed (Phlox divaricata) It belongs to the Phlox family of the Sinyukhov family. A perennial, herbaceous plant can reach a height of 40 cm. Bushes form a turf, spread along the ground. The color of the petals is bluish. Flowering has been going on since May.
In nature, spread phlox can be found in wet meadows. But such an addiction to the bush does not prevent it from being used as an ornamental plant for landscape design.
The main varieties of spread phlox
Split phlox has many varieties. The following varieties are most popular and recommended for use:
- "Blue Dreams" (Blue Dreams). The variety has star-shaped flowers; the color of the petals is lilac-blue. In the central part of the flower is a dark eye. Plant height reaches 30 cm. The variety has a pleasant aroma and grows very much.
- "Laphamii" (Laphamii). The variety is distinguished by long-tubular flowers of dark purple color with rounded petals.
- "Clouds of Perfume" (Clouds of Perfume). Tall phlox with beautiful flowers of lilac color. The plant has a pleasant lavender aroma. The height of the turf reaches 25 cm. Flowering has been going on since June. The variety feels great in partial shade.
- "May Breeze". Tall plant with large flowers of white-lilac color. In the center of the flowers are pale lilac stars.
- "Variegata". Variegated flower with green-white leaves. Plant height varies from 15 cm to 30 cm. Flowering has been going on since the end of May and lasts a little over a month. “Variegatta” loves light and warmth, and stagnation of moisture is destructive for it. The grade is recommended for borders and the Alpine hills.
- Sternen Splitter The variety has lilac petals with a dark purple star inside. Plant height reaches 40 cm.
- Chattahoochee. The plant has dense foliage and a red eye. Phlox is recommended for cultivation on rich soils, compact. The variety is suitable for the creation of rock gardens and rocky gardens. Plant height does not exceed 25 cm, inflorescences are raised. Abundant flowering begins in early spring, but if heat sets in, it stops abruptly. Seedlings are often used for growing in pots.
- "Dirigo Ice" (Dirigo Ice). Phlox is characterized by rapid growth. Large flowers of the plant are creamy blue with a purple eye. The height of the curtains does not exceed 35 cm.
- "Fullers White" (Fuller's White). The plant reaches a height of only 25 cm. Phlox is compact. The flowers are white.
- "Montrose Tricolor" (Montrose Tricolor). The plant has leaves of green, white and pink color, from where the name came from. The flowers of the phlox are bluish, the height of the curtains is 30 cm.
How to use in garden design
Spread phlox is actively used in landscape design. It is suitable for creating:
- rock garden;
- rocky garden.
Using the presented plant, you can create a thicket with blue small flowers. But there is one significant minus - at the end of flowering, the phlox completely loses its decorative effect.
Since the plant feels great in the shade, it can be placed near ponds or in the shade of trees or shrubs. In rock gardens, phloxes are planted on the shady side. The plant also feels great on the north side of the alpine hill.
We recommend that you read the article on the rules for preparing phlox for the winter.
What plants can be used for spreading phlox?
Low plants feel good in flower beds. Ideal neighbors for them will be yellow daisies and tulips. A more effective option would be to place phlox like a curtain among greenery.
As a solitary plant, the spread phlox can be planted on an alpine hill or anywhere else in the garden. On the flower bed, the plant goes well with lunar boils, primrose and bathing suits.
Phlox also looks good against the background of conifers and shrubs. It can also be planted next to ground covers and perennials. Bright and original blue spots of flowers of the spread phlox will look against the background:
- milkweed of multicolor;
It is important to remember that phlox quickly loses its decorative properties, so after it fades, it is better to remove the stems. Among other things, it is recommended to have a plant with flowers that are not inclined to lose their decorativeness all season.
Spread phlox is a creeping low shrub that differs in interesting flowering and not only. Sods are intertwined and form original shapes. Shoots end with inflorescences, each of which contains up to 12 flowers, and flowering lasts for a month. Some varieties are quite low - 20 cm, so they are suitable for growing in pots.