Titania blackcurrant was bred by pollination of the Altai Dessert variety by the Swedish very popular Kajaanin Musta-Tamas variety abroad. Titania appeared in Russian horticultural and homestead households about twenty years ago.
Plant characteristics stated in the variety description are presented in the table.
Average yields in conditions of proper care reach 80 centners per hectare.
Harvest Dates and Rules
Black-fruited currants of the Titania variety ripen in the first ten days of July. Even one bush of this variety can satisfy the need of a whole family for currant berries. Fruiting is extended, and harvesting is carried out in stages. Fresh and fragrant berries ripen for a month. For a complete harvest, three approaches are needed.
Currant "Titania" belongs to the category of unpretentious black-fruited varieties. For full growth, it is necessary to plant a plant in a sunny area with loose and fertile soil. A stable and high yield is facilitated by the implementation of standard plant care products for this berry crop throughout the entire period of active vegetation:
- it should be remembered that insufficient watering leads to a delay in the growth of the plant, and the lack of moisture during the formation and filling of the berry causes its crushing and shedding;
- in dry and too hot summers, it is necessary to water currants abundantly at least once a week;
- early spring currant irrigation with boiling water is very effective in combating the kidney tick and can reduce the cost of chemicals for treating plants;
- in early spring it is very important to feed bush of blackcurrant with any nitrogen-containing fertilizers;
- the best fertilizers for liquid top dressing are diluted slurry, as well as a solution of bird droppings or mullein;
- on depleted loamy, sandy loam and peaty-boggy soils in the summer, additional liquid top dressing based on organic and mineral fertilizers is carried out, which is recommended to be combined with irrigation.
In the year of planting, currants should be cut as much as possible, up to about 5-8 cm from the soil level. Further pruning is carried out according to the established technology, taking into account the degree of development of the plant and its age, as well as varietal characteristics.
You may also be interested in an article that talks about the black haze of the Green Haze variety.
Reviews of summer residents
Chokeberry "Titania" receives stable positive reviews from gardeners. The first crop of fully ripened berries can be harvested in the first decade of July. Blackcurrant of foreign selection "Titania" has a flesh of green color with a dessert, slightly wine taste. The average sugar content in the pulp is relatively high and amounts to 6.6%, and the acidity of the berry pulp does not exceed 3.2%. The variety is perfectly suited for machine assembly and transportation of the crop over considerable distances. That is why it is often cultivated by farms and on an industrial scale.
Currant "Titania": features of the variety (video)
Harvested is used fresh and frozen, and is also very suitable for various types of processing.