By acquiring a much-sought-after personal plot, we hope that we will enjoy agricultural leisure and show our remarkable imagination in compiling unique landscaping compositions. In this case, no one is afraid of difficulties in the form of a grueling midday sun or the fight against annoying weeds. And everything seems to be working out: both the plot, as from the picture of a magazine article about gardeners, gardeners, the alpine hill pleases the eye, and fruit and vegetables are their own, home-made. But then it’s life, so that not everything is smooth, but like clockwork. Mother Earth teaches us not to lose vigilance, but at the same time to gain experience ...
The most common and difficult to solve problem is the presence of certain plants in the infield, with which it is very difficult to control, or rather root out. And this does not have to be a well-known bindweed, dandelion or purslane. Most gardeners can recall a reliable case from their practice when a seemingly safe and fairly cultivated plant began to abuse the hospitality it was given. Almost before our eyes, it began to fill with its presence a very vast territory. Such plants include: blackberry, raspberry, strawberry, horseradish and hops.
Quite often, this unpretentious and fairly attractive plant, the owners of the estate plant their own hands on their site, pursuing various goals, including:
- creation of hedges and the formation of green arches;
- decorating old buildings and protecting them from the effects of natural factors that can contribute to the destruction of walls and the foundation of a building;
- gazebo decoration;
- in order to cool the southern part of the house from heat in the summer;
- giving the architecture mystery and mystery;
- other types of decorative vertical gardening.
In order for hops to really please the eye, and not become a burden, it is necessary to choose the right place not only for planting, but also for the type of this climbing plant.
Hops hops discord
For ordinary inhabitants, a plant under this name is steadily associated with a beer drink. Most people believe that there is no other in nature. In fact, everything is not so simple. And even for the manufacture of a drink beloved by men, not every hop is suitable, because only a female gives hoppy cones.
Before you plant this amazingly viable plant as a decoration for your infield, you need to know that There are two main types of hops:
- Curly or plain hops (H. lupulus)
This species is the most common and familiar to the inhabitants of our country. He comes from Europe. Refers to herbaceous plants of a perennial type. The length of its vines reaches 17.0 m, provided that by winter all green mass completely dies. Its three-lobed and five-lobed leaves have a heart-shaped base.
Flowers do not differ in decorative appeal. They are located in the form of small paniculate inflorescences. At the same time, the fruits of the plant look like scaly cones. They develop, as already mentioned, exclusively on the female specimen.
It should be borne in mind that once planting ordinary hops on a site in order to create a shading zone, it will be quite difficult to get rid of it later.
Therefore, you need to plant hops away from the garden and garden areas.
Otherwise, there is a possibility that the plant will spread to those parts of the territory that I would like to protect from the presence of this persistent culture.
- Japanese hop or climb (H. japonicus)
The homeland of this plant is the Far East. Its green mass is growing quite quickly. At the same time, the height of the created landscape decorations sometimes reaches four meters in height. The leaves are rather large, on long distinct petioles, strongly cut, lobed with a dark green color.
Like common hop, Japanese has no attractive flowering parts. Powerful often intertwined vines with a large number of leaves are of aesthetic value.
This species is planted by knowledgeable lovers of decorative vines. This plant, unlike ordinary hops, is an annual. This factor should be decisive when choosing a species. After all, this is the only way to simultaneously receive a delightful visual effect from contemplating a decorative pile on a green mop, and save yourself the hassle of removing individual fragments of creeper, which strive to spread throughout the territory of the garden.
Unlike ordinary hops, this plant is quite photophilous. When planting in the shade or partial shade, the green leaves lose its juicy color, replacing it with a more dull, not so attractive tone.
How to plant hops (video)
How to get rid of an obsessive neighborhood
But, unfortunately, such an attractive plant can not only act as an extraordinary decoration. Many gardeners spend a lot of effort fighting from year to year with this cheerful neighbor. There is no longer aesthetics. After all, as you know, creepers love to weave. In this case, the resulting hedge weaves along garden plants, causing them fatal damage. Often, fruit trees and shrubs do not withstand such competition and, if the measures taken are untimely, can completely die.
Moreover, few people know that a liana braids a plant not only from above, but also underground, entangling the ground part with its powerful root.
At the same time, ordinary hops themselves are not particularly whimsical. And the biggest problem is its powerful, fast-growing, surprisingly viable root, which grows even on seemingly unsuitable rocky soil. Hops can destroy some types of fences made of natural stone.
Wild uncontrolled hops destroy almost all types of cultivated plants with their presence. Such dominance is hard enough to eradicate.
But, nevertheless, there are several ways to deal with this plant, which empirically, often by accident, were found by hardworking and persistent lovers of landscape design and gardening.
Today dachadecor.ru will offer you the most effective ways to deal with this green "misfortune":
This option is relevant if the plant was first noticed on the site a year or two ago.
It is important to understand how hops propagate in order to take the most effective methods of dealing with it. If we talk about ordinary hop, then its amazing vitality is achieved not only due to the powerful root, but also due to the fact that it can multiply at once in several ways:
- by seeds;
The latter method is also relevant for small pieces of rhizome that remain after uprooting. That is, by removing one plant, you can get several at once next year.
The classical method involves the implementation of the following measures:
- If hops are an element of landscape design, it is very important to ensure that tenacious lianas are within the decorated territory. Trimming and gartering of branches should be carried out in a timely manner.
If it is necessary to completely get rid of the plant, you need to realize a haircut, as they say, under the root. At the same time, cut lianas should be taken outside the site.
- Trimming needs to be done systematically., which will avoid the appearance of seeds on the vines. They are very tenacious even with deep freezing.
- Uprooting should be implemented to the maximum available depth.carefully removing the main and subordinate roots of the plant. As a rule, after several such procedures, with the subsequent pruning of new shoots, the plant weakens, which inevitably leads to the desired result - complete eradication.
It is very important to implement all the above rules comprehensively. Only in this way will it be possible to forget about the hopping thickets forever.
The classic way is the most humane for cultivated land, which inevitably becomes a battlefield.
If hops have grown among fruit shrubs, while there is a possibility that the root system is intertwined with the underground part of the fruiting trees, then the method described above is also relevant. With one caveat: in order to get rid of the weaving neighbor in currants, gooseberries, varietal raspberries, you will have to temporarily transplant the plants, carefully freeing their roots from the easily distinguishable root system of the plant parasite.
Firstly, it will allow more thoroughly, and if necessary, radically clear the soil from the presence of feral hops. And secondly, this can serve as a real salvation of your favorite bushes and garden youngsters from certain death.
This is especially true if it is necessary to save high-grade and rare types of crops.
The drug method can be used provided that nothing grows on the ground where the procedure is supposed to be carried out. Such substances are sold in almost every garden store, with detailed instructions on how to prepare the drug, and according to the method of its use.
Moreover, fatal harm to hops using the selected drug can be done in three ways:
- spraying with a spray on all surfaces of the green mass of the plant;
- pouring the drug under the root;
- desperate gardeners inject the chemical into the rhizome of the plant.
It is worth saying that for greater reliability, you can apply all methods of applying the chemical at the same time. But, unfortunately, wrestlers with uninvited shoots note that this, seemingly trouble-free method, does not always work in practice.
This method was used by our ancient ancestors, wanting to annoy the enemy in the direct meaning of this winged expression. After all, everyone knows that not a single blade of grass can grow on well-salted soil.
And again, to combat hops with the same method, two approaches can be applied:
- sprinkling with salt the area where feral hops grow. Moreover, it is necessary to carry the product from the heart, with a layer of at least 1.0 cm of thickness.
- salty “vaccination” of the root system of the plant and thickening of the shoots can also be carried out.
Fertilizer without rules
All gardeners know that even organic fertilizer can cause serious damage to plants, if you do not observe the timing of "burnout" of the composition and the accuracy of the proportion of dilution with water. It is on this rule that the radical-organic method is exactly the opposite.
- Seasoned summer residents recommend making a large amount under the root of the hop fresh litter or undiluted mullein. According to them, the plant will wither away literally before our eyes. To consolidate the long-awaited result, it is recommended to implement the described procedure several times.
- Saltpeter although it does not apply to organics, it is also a good fertilizer, with the correct application of which you can get a pretty good crop. But in the case of hops, saltpeter needs to be introduced in large quantities, which is why the plant will soon die.
Flame and ice
Some methods of destroying hops were discovered by the owners of the estates either purely by chance or from despair. When, it would seem, all the methods have been tried, you can try a couple more good methods, each of which involves the implementation of preliminary uprooting. At the same time, the pit formed after such a laborious process must be left open.
And there are two options for the development of further events:
- In the first case, it is necessary to throw the maximum amount of garden garbage into the pit and make a fire based on it. It is believed that in this way it will be possible to rid the site of the remains of the root, thereby preventing the appearance of new hop shoots in the spring.
- You can also constantly fill the pit with water during the winter. The resulting block of ice will contribute to the freezing of the root system of hops, which should lead to the death of the plant.
Hops: Harvesting (video)
All lovers of agriculture and landscape design have one thing in common - perseverance and perseverance. Thanks to these qualities and our advice, you can tame and destroy even the wildest hops.