A metal barbecue is wonderful. But, in addition to the functionality of the oven, I also want beauty. Attractive appearance without loss of function has a barbecue. There are models that are laid out with their own hands from brick without experience in a couple of days. And there are intricate ones - whole mini-complexes. Spreading such stoves without experience is not worth it, but a barbecue or brick grill can be built.
What is a barbecue
Most dishes cannot be made in a city apartment, because a flame with smoke is needed. Now there is no shortage of building materials or ready-made calculations for the construction of barbecue and stoves. If there was no building experience, you can learn the main skills, for example, make an indoor gazebo with a barbecue.
By design, a barbecue is a stove with a round fryer in the base for grilling meat and protein products on a wire rack. There are many similar to the barbecue. The meat fried on them varies slightly in taste, but has a typical mesh pattern from the grill.
The quality of the prepared food does not depend on an appetizing crust, but on physical and chemical changes. Denaturation and fermentation of the protein under the fried crust preserves the juice inside the meat. In extreme heat, boiling occurs, and excess fat is drowned and drained.
There are various variants of the origin of the word barbeque: from the Roman barbar “barbarian”, (meat cooked in a flame by the savage method), from Haitian - translated as “stove bench”, which is also reliable due to the configuration of the roasting pan. But linguists are inclined to believe that the word is heard in a French way, and in India barbacoa is a method of frying buffalo meat over wood grates over a fire. Now they call it a universal oven.
There are several types of garden stoves with these features:
- Enlarged firebox (used as a garden or gazebo fireplace) and a mounted skewer or grill.
- Chamber for frying, like a Russian stove.
- Barbecue area or stationary building for grilling kebabs.
- Deepening for cauldron.
- Chamber for smoking meat and fish.
Barbecue, barbecue and grill differences
The Arabic word "brazier" is translated as "brazier", this device in the form of a box on the legs of metal.
The French "grill" translates as "fry". That is, it is a frying cabinet for cooking meat, poultry, seafood, fish, where there are skewers.
There is no literal division between the barbecue and the barbecue. The main difference is that on the grill they cook on skewers, and in the barbecue - on the grill. Ovens are grouped by the presence of a roof. Barbecue - invariably undisguised device without smoke removal. In a brick barbecue, a chimney is built, although there are simple models.
The heterogeneous presentation of “barbecue” means a rear-mounted oven for frying meat on a flame. But what is common between devices and what is the difference:
- At the furnace buildings and roasting one thing - cooking meat on a flame.
- Stationary stoves on the street behind the brazier have a wall, like a fireplace, a Russian stove or barbecue, the grill does not have it. The back wall keeps the temperature and prevents the blowing of the wind, and the heat gradually surrounds the cooked product.
- There is a chimney by the fireplace, stove and barbecue, it removes the fumes and smoke away from cooking, but the grill doesn’t.
- A country fireplace is a device for heating a house, and only sausages are fried there on skewers.
- A lot of dishes are made in barbecue and ovens, a small baking sheet is used on pizza and hot toast racks.
- The grill does not heat, but only cooks dishes on a skewer in the oven.
- Fireplaces and stoves have a firebox for wood and coal, while grills and barbecue have a pallet.
- On the grill, it is impossible to adjust the height of the skewer rise above the flame, and a barbecue like that is provided.
- The stove and fireplace retain heat longer than devices with a hearth on the street, they cool after extinguishing the flame, but in the stove they cook dishes that are "languishing" for a long time.
- A stationary grill and barbecue are cooked outside, while a stove and fireplace are in the building.
How to build a barbecue
To select the place for the brick oven necessary, responsibly, based on the concepts of fire safety. It is easier to separate the zone in the garden and transplant from there two bushes of lilac or currant than to extinguish the flame carried by the wind to buildings and trees. It is worth extending a path to the furnace, and cover the soil with claydite, slag or use natural stone. It’s great when a place is arranged nearby for lunch with garden furniture under an awning.
The main requirements for the site:
- Barbecue and water approach.
- Proximity to housing, so that it is convenient to bring dishes, water and food, but so that the heat from the pipe does not reach the walls and roof.
- Safe distance from close neighbors and trees.
- Do not build a barbecue close to the garage, shed, greenhouse, bathhouse and other buildings.
- The connection of the furnace and the gazebo is great, but not for plants growing around it with weaving stems, they will degrade from the heat.
This device is ordinary, it just changes according to need and desire. It consists of brick walls with arranged ledges. Heat-resistant sheets, lattices, skewers are placed on them. It is suitable if there is a roof over your head in case of rainfall, but it is built separately and at will.
Under the brick building need a foundation, or a prepared base, even on a small barbecue. Since the material will need a little bit (a wall in half a brick), then a rolled-up area with a hard coating will fit under this structure.
The fertile layer of the earth is removed, the foundation pit is strengthened in depth by 20–25 cm. The size of the foundation is half a meter more than the furnace in all directions. The bottom is compared and covered with medium-sized gravel. The thickness of the layer is 15 cm. It is rammed with a plate or rammer.
Further, it all depends on the chosen basis. If the coating is paving slabs, paving stones, etc., then a layer of sand is poured and the level is laid there. If the foundation is a slab foundation, then it is reinforced with a rod 10 mm in diameter. It is placed across and along the foundation with a gap of 20 cm, at the intersection point it connects.
If they do not know how to wire, then they tighten with plastic clamps. Expose the formwork along the edges and fill it with concrete of the M250 brand. They begin construction in 7 days at +20 or in a couple of weeks at +17 degrees.
DIY cottage oven
For the grill, a solid ceramic brick M200 is used. Or buy a stovebut it is more expensive; they do not take fireclay: it is excessively hygrophilous in order to feel good in the brazier.
Masonry is done on a clay-sand mixture and a little cement is added for the fortress. But beginners take a ready-made mixture for stoves, not heat-resistant and without fireclay. Knead according to the manual, the width of the seam is 3-5 mm. Constantly check the verticality of the walls and the horizontal position of the masonry. This is essential for the operation of the furnace.
Everything is really easy. An even row starts with a solid brick, an odd row - with a half. In rows 6 and 10, the bricks are placed sideways and turned across the main masonry. If a barbecue is being built - under the grate - in these rows, the back wall is laid out of brick placed sideways, and to maintain the width of the masonry they are installed in a couple of tiers with dressing and offset joints.
If you intend to use the barbecue - for skewers - on the back wall they lay a brick on its side, build a ledge. In front, a profile metal pipe of small cross section, cut in size, is used as a support for skewers. Furrows are made under it under skewers.
From the 7th row, the masonry is done only in half - left or right, as it suits more, but this layout is given for the frying chamber on the left - it is larger, and on the left side is the table. If more convenient on the right, then construct a mirror image of this order.
Brick is a hygroscopic material, in order to reduce the “absorption” of moisture from the base by it and to extend the service life, waterproofing is placed in a couple of layers under the initial row. Take the roll material: roofing material or hydroisol. And also run around the circumference of the furnace hydrophobic impregnation. Waterproofing between 1 and 2 is not superfluous.
After the brazier has been folded out of brick, it is allowed to dry in warm weather for a couple of days, in cool weather - 5 days. After a test run. In this embodiment, lay out three tiers of protrusions: the first for food, the second for coal, and the third for ash.
In order for a brick-built stove to work longer, it is coated with a composition that reduces hygroscopicity. To do this, the varnish KO-85 will fit. It is advisable to make a cover to cover in case of rain and winter.
The barbecue version for the gazebo with the pipe is a little more complicated. The main thing here is the furnace compartment with an even arch, and it’s easier to build it domed. The brick frying chamber is located at a level of 90 cm, the full height of the furnace to the base of the pipe is 217.5 cm.
- Start with the preparation of the foundation. For this furnace, a solid reinforced foundation is built with a pitch of 15 cm on a compacted crushed stone base. After it dries, a waterproofing layer is scattered in a couple of layers, then proceed to masonry. If the barbecue is in the gazebo, the initial row is laid at floor level. If the foundation is lower, an additional row (or a couple) of bricks is formed, and then they are built according to plan.
- The first 9 rows do not require special explanations. Lay according to the scheme, sequentially, apply halves and cut brick. The verticality of the walls, the width of the mortar layer (8-10 mm) and the horizontalness of the brickwork are controlled.
- To check the width of the seam, a reinforcement bar of the corresponding diameter is used. It is laid on the edge, the surface of the row is filled with a solution, the excess above the bar is cut with a trowel. After this, the masonry is tapped, a straight seam comes out - the bar does not let the brick sit lower than necessary. The fittings are then pulled out and the next tier is made.
- To stack the 6th row, after 5 they lay a metal strip 4–5 mm thick and 40 mm wide, 1 meter 45 cm long. Three strips are needed - one from the edge, a pair in the middle of each line of bricks.
- The layout of the subsequent tiers of the furnace is clear. Only in the 12th row are necessary sawn along bricks. The 12th and 13th come out larger than the lower ones - they base a decorative “strip”.
- Fireclay bricks (ША-8) are laid on the same mixture of sand and clay (the addition of a small part of cement is permissible). Compounds with the addition of chamotte are not used: they need high temperatures for sintering, which are unattainable in outdoor barbecue. As a result, this solution simply crumbles.
- Everything is clear on this part of the order. Then form the arch of the furnace. It is blocked on the 22nd row and a gradual narrowing begins.
- Then they form a vault, in the 30th row turning into a chimney. Then 30 and 31 tiers alternate to set the desired furnace height.
Features and Benefits
Barbecue oven functions better than other devices designed for cooking on the street. Brick barbecue allows you to make a steak or barbecue, fry vegetables or fish, smoked meat, cook the first and second dishes, dry fruits or mushrooms and stuff.
Representing a symbiosis grill Brazier, grills and smokehouses, a barbecue shop has features that make the device unique and effective:
- It has a rear wall that separates heat throughout the furnace and retains heat.
- The use of the chimney organizes the draft and removes the burnt.
- Fuel burns in the furnace, and not in the pan, as in a grill or barbecue. Therefore, the device is safe and durable.
- Heat is spent more expediently, since even after making foods the building bricks maintain a high temperature.
When comparing, it becomes clear that for heating suburban housing you need a stove or a fireplace, and for cooking outdoors - a multifunctional barbecue. Having allocated a couple of days and the amount of money for the construction of a stationary brick barbecue, they find on the garden plot a building for gatherings with friends and relatives. When using a garden oven, you can delight your relatives with mouth-watering dishes. And also gain experience in construction, able to increase self-esteem and increase prestige among colleagues and acquaintances.