Snapdragon is a perennial plant of the plantain family, includes about 50 species. In different countries it bears its popular name: "dogs", "snapdragon", "cleft palate". With the help of artificial breeding, more than 1000 varieties of culture were bred, the basis of all forms was the large antirrinum.
General characteristics and use cases of snapdragon in landscape design
Antirrinum is a shrub that occurs as a herbaceous plant. Its stems are straight and branched, reaching the most various lengths: from 0.15 m to 1 m. A kind of bushes with a pyramidal shape are formed from the stems. Leaves differ at different flower heights: the upper are alternate, and the lower are opposite. The shape of the leaves can also be different: oval and lapel, the color scheme varies from light to dark tones of green.
The flowers in their structure resemble the mouth of a lion, where the name came from. They are distinguished by their large shape and concentration in inflorescences. Each variety is characterized by its color:
It is impossible to meet only shades of blue. Flowering occurs within three months after the start. A distinctive feature is the characteristic opening of the flower: upwards. If you remove the faded inflorescences in time, the blooming of the following flowers can be observed throughout the summer season until late autumn. Simple flowers and terry flowers stand out, all varieties have a fragrant aroma.
The fruit is a multi-seeded box, in 1 g of seeds, there are several thousand. Under natural conditions, snapdragon is a perennial, but under conditions not inherent to it, it is often grown as an annual. This does not exclude the possibility of organizing proper care and protection for his wintering.
In landscape design, undersized forms of culture are often used to design borders. They are also used to create contrasting compositions on the background of lawns or flower beds. A tall plant variety is grown for bouquets. Snapdragon well takes root in pots, which allows you to grow it as a decoration for balconies or terraces.
How to grow snapdragon seedlings (video)
Classification and description of varieties of antirrinum
Varieties of antirrinum vary in stem height, there are five main types of plants. One of the newly derived forms of culture can be identified ampel snapdragon. Its characteristic feature is the presence of drooping shoots, the length of which is equal to the length of the shoots of a giant variety.
This type of culture reaches a height of 0.9 m, sometimes reaching 1.3 m. The highest shoot is the central shoot, the next shoots in order are much lower than the main shoot. In total, there are two orders of stems; the third is absent in this species. The color of the inflorescences is a shade of red. The brightest representative is Opus, which is also divided into subcategories: lavender, white, apple. This is the only variety that can be cut twice a year: in late spring and early autumn.
Their height ranges from 0.6 m to 0.9 m, this variety of snapdragon is grown for cutting into fresh bouquets, which can stand up to 7 days without withering. As in the previous species, the side shoots are significantly lower than the main one. The most fragrant crops can be identified with yellow flowers:
- Anna German (different delicate color);
- Canary (bright);
- Madame Butterfly (terry variety of various shades).
The variety reaches from 0.4 m to 0.6 m. It can be characterized by versatility, because it is possible to grow both to make cut bouquets and for landscape design. It features a large number of shoots, the central one stands out above all. The most famous representatives can be identified Golden Monarch, Ruby and Lipstick Silver.
These hybrids grow from 0.25 m to 0.4 m, breed them to decorate flower beds and borders. They differ in a moderate number of flowers in inflorescences of all levels of shoots. One of the representatives of this variety you can highlight twinnie, which refers to the terry and semi-double type. It has bright shades of colors that please for a long time.
The smallest variety, the shoot length of which reaches 0.15 m - 0.2 m. It is used to decorate borders, rabatka, dwarf crops for growing carpet flower beds are also widely used. Branching of this species is most developed among the rest; the central shoot is not distinguished from the shoots of the following levels. Famous representatives of this variety: Sakura Color, Candy Showers (refers to the ampel type with drooping shoots).
Growing snapdragons from seeds
At home, you can grow snapdragon from seeds, for this it is not necessary to purchase them in a store, you can collect them yourself from the crop at the end of the flowering period.Seeds are distinguished by their excellent ability to maintain viability for several years.. In a warm climate, you can plant a crop with seeds immediately in the soil. In other climatic conditions, it is recommended to dilute the antirrinum with seedlings.
- In early spring, it is required to prepare small pots with a diameter of 10 cm or more. Drainage holes must be present in them to remove excess moisture.
- Coarse sand should be poured to the bottom, a layer of the same sand and fertilized earth is placed on top of it.
- The poured is neatly compacted and leveled, the prepared soil is moistened from the sprayer, on which seeds mixed with sand are laid out. The last layer of fertilized soil with sand is poured and everything is covered with a glass lid.
- Then it is necessary to wipe up the collected condensate daily, to moisten the soil as necessary. Cover with a lid after a short period of time so that the seeds have time to "breathe". If the care and temperature are correct and comfortable for the culture, then after a couple of weeks you can see the first shoots.
- After that, the pot is removed from a sunny place so that the sprouts do not begin to actively grow and stretch, because you should wait for the rest of the seeds to germinate. Once this has happened, the glass roof is removed.
Cultivation of snapdragons in the garden (video)
Seedling growing technology
Sprouted plants at first do not grow very actively, while proper watering and timely removal of dead sprouts should be observed. To remove the cause of the disease in the soil, you need to sprinkle the infected area with crushed coal.
As soon as the first leaves appeared, the culture dives into a spacious box where a certain distance between seedlings is maintained for free growth. The place must be chosen bright, but not in direct sunlight. At this time, the gradual adaptation of the snapdragon to the conditions in which it will be transplanted begins. For this, a window opens briefly without the formation of a draft. To shoots were more branched, they must be clipped. This is done at a time when the number of leaves on the shoot reaches 4-5 pcs. The same can be done with the side shoots, if they began to stretch too actively.
Dates and rules for planting seedlings in a permanent place
Seedlings should be strengthened by the end of spring. During this period, she is planted in a prepared place in the garden. The soil should be saturated with nutrients and have a light structure. Ideally, it is recommended to prepare a mixture of peat, sand and compost. Good drainage and protection from wind gusts are mandatory. The selected location may be sunny or slightly shaded.
When planting in the soil, a certain distance between plants should be maintained. These indicators depend on the variety of culture.
- Tall - about half a meter.
- Srednerosly - 0.3 m.
- Undersized - 0.2 m.
- Dwarf - 0.15 m.
Before directly planting, the soil is abundantly moistened, this is necessary for better rooting. As soon as it happens, the antirrinum will begin to turn into a bush.
Features of caring for snapdragons
The culture does not cause difficulties in care. It must be treated on time from weeds, around it should be done timely loosening of the soil and moistening. Watering is necessary only in dry periods of the season. It is recommended to do this in the morning, and in the evening of the same day weeds are removed and the soil is loosened.
- If a high-growing plant is being erected, then a garter to the support is mandatory in order to avoid a fracture of the stem. Faded flowers are removed in a timely manner, which prolongs the flowering of snapdragons. Also, to extend the release of flowers, you need to remove the arrow in time and not let the seeds ripen.
- Over the entire season, several fertilizing with fertilizers is done. The first is in the period of the onset of active growth, immediately after rooting. The second - during the formation of buds. This is done with the help of organics and nitrofoski.
- Sometimes a culture is attacked by pests and diseases. In this case, infected specimens are immediately removed from the flower garden and burned to prevent the spread of damage. The place of growth is processed with a special tool purchased in a store.
- In order to prevent infection, you need to carry out proper care, which consists in removing the affected leaves, watering the leaves, and not on the ground, the lack of collection of excess moisture from the root system.
- In autumn, after flowering, it is necessary to prune the plant at a stem height of 5-8 cm above the soil. The basal soil should be mulched so that the soil does not freeze in winter. This is done to grow perennials. If an annual was planned on the site, then seed crushing should be avoided. In autumn, the soil is dug up, and the remains of the crop are burned.
Drawing up flower arrangements and combination with other plants
Snapdragon is used to create floral arrangements. Cut the culture during the opening of the flower by ¾, then guaranteed antirrinum will delight with its beauty for up to two weeks. Its great advantage is an unobtrusive aroma that does not cause irritation.
Dwarf varieties grown in pots will create the visual effect of a lush bouquet. This is complemented by a variety of colors of the plant.
At the flowerbed, landscape designers carefully think through and work out the planting of various flower arrangements. Snapdragon can be combined with asters, lavater. Low-growing varieties are complemented by phlox, marigolds, forget-me-nots. Compilation can occur on several grounds. One of them is the color combination of the composition.
How to grow ampel snapdragon (video)
Snapdragon is a bright and picky plant that will decorate any flower bed. Some aesthetes do not plant it precisely because of the riot of colors.