Eggplant "Epic" is a relatively new hybrid that has proven itself in the home gardening hybrid, which has a high yield and differs in the early stages of crop formation. This early-ripe hybrid form has been tested for years, therefore, Epic was highly rated due to its high yield, the formation of beautiful fruits with dark purple peel and delicate, white, bitterness-free pulp.
Characterization and description of the variety
Description of the Epic eggplant variety is of interest not only for summer residents who grow vegetables for their own consumption, but also amateur vegetable growers who cultivate plants in order to further realize the harvest:
- the harvested crop is perfect for fresh consumption, as well as for processing and preservation;
- fruits have excellent taste and very high commodity characteristics;
- fruits 21-22 cm long and 8-10 cm in diameter;
- there is a relatively rare stud in the calyx;
- surface of an oval-conical in shape of a fruit attractive black-violet staining;
- the flesh is white, pleasant, characteristic of a garden culture, taste;
- the average weight of a commodity fruit can vary between 220-230 g;
- semi-spreading bush;
- leaves of characteristic green staining, medium size;
- average indicators of total yield under agricultural practices are about 5.8-6.0 per square meter.
Fruiting is long, plentiful, but the last fruits are most often smaller and have a coarser skin. The hybrid form is declared by the originator, as not only highly productive, but also having good resistance to the defeat of the tobacco mosaic virus, which is undoubtedly of interest to gardeners who are not inclined to use strong chemicals for prophylactic purposes.
Eggplant Epic: Harvesting (video)
The period declared by the author of the Epik variety and confirmed by the personal experience of domestic gardeners from the appearance of seedlings to the mass harvest is about two months, so direct sowing of seeds into the soil is possible in the southern regions of our country.
For eggplant, it is imperative to treat the seed before sowing with any agent against viral, fungal and bacterial infections. Most often, a pink solution based on potassium permanganate is used for this purpose. Also, the seeds should be subjected to daily soaking in a solution of any stimulants for about a day.
On the territory of central Russia, seedling should be preferred. For growing eggplant seedlings "Epic" you can use both ready-made soils and self-prepared soil mixtures:
- humus with garden soil and coarse sand in a ratio of 2: 2: 1;
- EM compost, garden soil, peat and coarse sand at the rate of 1: 2: 1: 1;
- sawdust with the addition of garden soil and non-acid peat in a ratio of 3: 1: 2.
Complex fertilizers must be added to any composition of self-made soil mixtures. The acidity level of the soil used for growing seedlings should be in the range of pH 6.5-7.2. Sowing eggplant for high-quality seedlings should be carried out in early or mid-March. In order to avoid such an event as picking seedlings, it is advisable to sow immediately in individual seedling peat pots.
Germination of eggplant seeds at a temperature of 25-26ºC is observed after about a couple of weeks. After the emergence of mass shoots, the temperature level and illumination should be increased. According to experienced vegetable growers, it is best to feed eggplant seedlings in the foliar way, using a very weak solution of complex fertilizers for this purpose. Such foliar top dressing should be done once every two weeks. Irrigation is carried out exclusively with warm water at room temperature.
How to sow eggplant for seedlings (video)
Cultivation and care
The main care for the planting of the Epic eggplant is regular feeding, watering, weeding and cultivation, in accordance with the following recommendations:
- an increased need for irrigation measures occurs in the phase of mass formation of fruits;
- For irrigation, only water that has been protected and warmed by the sun should be used at a temperature of 25-30 ºC;
- during irrigation, a stream of water should be directed under the root of the plant, avoiding droplets falling on the aerial part of the garden culture;
- after irrigation, shallow loosening of the soil in the aisles and removal of weed vegetation from the ridges is mandatory;
- to minimize the risk of soil crust formation, peeling crust ridges can be used;
- when grown in a greenhouse, the height of the plant may be slightly larger, therefore a garter of the aerial part is used;
- on adult, fully formed eggplant bushes, it is recommended to leave the strongest, most well-developed shoot and remove lateral growths.
Thus, the "Epic" eggplant can really be recommended for cultivation in vegetable gardens in most regions of our country, where the plant shows excellent results and high quality of the crop both when grown in sheltered and open ground.
Reviews of summer residents
The early ripe Epik hybrid is grown quite often in household plots and garden plots, which is due to the relative simplicity of cultivation and high productivity regardless of errors in care and the presence of external adverse factors. When growing in seedlings, the plants are strong, powerful and upright.
Many small farms carry out the cultivation of "Epika" for the purpose of further sale, since attractive fruits with good taste are very popular and have good consumer feedback: the fruits are large and glossy, the pulp has practically no seeds and is not bitter.
Eggplant: transplanting seedlings (video)
However, it should be borne in mind that in some extremely rare cases, the formation of deformed fruits with the presence of bitterness characteristic of eggplant is noted. As a rule, such a crop is formed if, at the stage of fruit formation, the plants are subjected to extreme stress in the form of a low temperature regime, insufficient watering, or low level of lighting. In this case, the fruits are formed slowly enough, which entails a change in their structure and the formation of bitterness from solanine.