Strawberry "Diamant", or Diamante, bred by the University of California. This high-yielding variety is well known to gardeners in Russia. In most regions of our country, “Diamond” is considered one of the best in taste and performance indicators, as well as the most adapted repair varieties.
Description and characteristic
"Diamond" - a large-fruited variety of neutral daylight hours, with large, elongated shiny berries of orange-red color. The average weight of the berries, with high agricultural technology, reaches 30-32 g. Ripe fruits are dense, not too juicy, with high sugar content. The color of the pulp is quite light, so the berries of this variety are rarely used for processing. The variety is suitable for transportation over long distances.
The characteristic differences of the Diamant strawberry repair strawberry are its high productivity, excellent taste and good marketability of berries.
The variety forms relatively tall tall bushes with a well-developed leaf rosette. Inflorescences are placed strictly above the leaves. The variety is highly resistant to damage by spider mites, mildew, white and red leaf spot. At the active fruiting phase of the plant, a pronounced formation of whiskers is observed. The variety can be grown both in open ground and in containers or pots.
Strawberries: how to care in spring (video)
As a rule, large-fruited garden strawberries are grown from rosettes formed on the mustache of uterine plants. However, “Diamond” can be propagated by seeds, which is very convenient for gardeners living far from big cities and not having the opportunity to purchase high-quality planting material.
Garden strawberries can grow on most types of soil, but yield and quality indicators of berries are directly dependent on the level of soil fertility. The best option for growing are light and medium in soil mechanical composition with a pH of 5.0-6.5.
A couple of weeks before planting strawberry bushes in a permanent place, it is advisable to fertilize the soil with last year's rotted manure at the rate of 10 liters per square meter. m If the soil on the site is quite heavy, then sand must be added to it.
Strawberry "Diamond" is demanding on the condition of the soil and irrigation, as well as less resistant to disease than conventional varieties, therefore Needs careful implementation of care measures:
- the need for regular watering with warm water, preferably in the morning or evening hours;
- loosening the soil and neatly bumping plants after irrigation or precipitation are required;
- cleansing strawberry plantings from weeds;
- mulching strawberry beds in order to increase the efficiency of care and reduce labor costs for irrigation, weeding and loosening;
- systematic fertilizing and carrying out not only root, but also foliar top dressing; the most effective is the use of manure and bird droppings, as well as herbal or nettle infusions;
- processing strawberry beds for prophylactic purposes with copper chloride, before the onset of the flowering phase; You can also use Intavir and the fungicide Switch with the addition of Tiovit-Jet. To protect plantings from slugs, Slimax is most effective at a concentration of 5-7 kg / ha, as well as Metaldehyde, which is sprinkled between rows at the rate of 8-10 kg / ha;
- inspection of strawberry plantings before the onset of severe colds and the removal of diseased and weak plants, as well as podokuchivanie bare root system and mulch the bushes, followed by shelter with spruce or agrofibre.
Wild strawberry "Diamond" was bred by American breeders back in 1997, but so far has not lost its popularity among gardeners in many countries. Reviews about this variety are mostly positive. “Diamond” grows well in one place and bears fruit abundantly for a maximum of 3 years, and then requires a transplant.
How to plant strawberries (video)
Currently, large-fruited varieties are especially in demand due to their high resistance to damaging factors and frosts, as well as the ability to form high yields of marketable and tasty berries. According to many gardeners, it is precisely these varieties that include Diamant strawberries.