Tomatoes - fruits of a tomato, multicavity paracarp berries, are extremely popular both in Russia and abroad. Tomatoes are grown in different regions of our country in the greenhouse and in the open ground, and to obtain not only a high, but also a high-quality crop, fertilizer and seedlings are processed with various ready-made compounds or folk remedies made at home. One of the popular remedies used for feeding tomatoes is iodine.
Signs of iodine deficiency
There are several signs that allow, with a high level of certainty, to determine the need for fertilizing the garden culture with iodine solution:
- adult and well-developed tomato bushes do not go into the fruiting phase or there is a low level of fruit set and their ripening too long;
- decreased immunity of tomato seedlings or already mature bushes, accompanied by the formation of too thin stems, as well as lethargy and pallor of foliage;
- massive damage to tomato bushes by diseases such as root rot, brown spotting, mosaic and late blight.
In the most severe cases, plant death is often observed as a result of a strong decrease in immunity and massive damage to garden crops by pathogenic microorganisms.
Top dressing during watering
Effective top dressing of garden plants can be either root or extra root. Feeding tomatoes is recommended during watering. It should be noted that the implementation of irrigation measures must comply with some requirements of tomato growing technology:
- it is not recommended to water tomato seedlings planted on a permanent place in the first week;
- it is strictly forbidden to water seedlings or adult tomato bushes in cool weather in order to reduce the risk of late blight and fungal infections;
- watering must be carried out directly under the root of the plant, preventing water from entering the aboveground part.
It is advisable to water the tomatoes early in the morning or in the evening hours with warm and settled water. If necessary, watering is supplemented with top dressing. The method of feeding tomatoes using iodine is not complicated, but very effective. Iodine top dressing can be done twice a month. It is recommended to feed tomato bushes with such a composition at temperatures above 16-18 ° C, on a cloudy day or in the evening.
How to feed tomatoes with iodine (video)
Fertilizing tomatoes with iodine is not only an additional nutrition of the garden culture, but also helps protect the plant from damage by late blight and other fungal or bacterial diseases.
When using a feed supplement based on iodine and whey, it must be remembered that beneficial lactic acid and lactobacilli will be destroyed by the active components of iodine and the proper effect will not be obtained. Also, iodine-based solutions with Fitosporin should not be used for top dressing.
Skim milk should be added to the solution for processing in order to form a fat film on the aerial part of the plant. Such a film allows fixing iodine components on leaves for a long time, which contributes to their long-term protection.
Methods of feeding iodine
Domestic gardeners know two ways of feeding tomatoes with iodine, which have become quite popular in the home garden.
Other ways to increase yields
Despite the fact that iodine and ash are the two most popular natural methods for increasing tomato yields among gardeners, You can use other, equally effective methods:
- soaking the seed before sowing for 30-40 minutes in a solution based on aloe juice;
- you can use a solution with aloe juice to water weakened tomato seedlings after a dive;
- in a bucket of warm water, dilute a liter of ash solution and add one liter of the resulting liquid for each adult plant;
- dilute 3 g of humate in 10 liters of water and fertilize the plant after sunset;
- the use of yeast nutrition by dissolving 10 g of yeast and 1 tbsp. tablespoons of sugar in a liter of water at room temperature;
- foliar top dressing of tomato bushes with “onion cocktail”, for preparation of which 50 g of onion husk should be poured with a couple of liters of boiling water, boiled for 5-10 minutes and insisted for three hours, then strain and spray the aerial part of the plant;
- feeding with nettle infusion is able to saturate the soil on tomato ridges with all the necessary nutrients, which has a positive effect on the overall yield and quality of the fruit. To prepare this infusion, you need to grind young nettles and pour it with warm water in a 1: 3 ratio. The mixture needs to be infused for about a week, after which it can be used to water tomatoes.
It should also be noted that if tomato ridges are fertilized with humus, then the yield and quality of the fruits increase in a natural way. It is important to remember that all tomato bushes weakened or affected by diseases need to be fed carefully, using fertilizers in a minimum concentration.
It is rather difficult to meet more popular cultures than tomatoes, potatoes and cucumbers in our country. The cultivation of tomatoes in the gardening is engaged in most of the workers of the country front. There are both positive and extremely negative reviews of gardeners who have tested in their household plots a solution based on a tincture of pharmacy iodine.
According to experienced gardeners practicing the use of iodine to feed garden crops, if approximately 8-10 g of superphosphate and 15-20 g of potassium salt are added to the iodine solution, the fertilizer for tomatoes will be more complete, and the consumption of such fertilizing for each plant will decrease from a liter up to 400-500 ml. No less effective is the spraying of the aerial parts of plants at the stage of active flowering with a solution based on urea with the addition of humate, iodine, pharmacy and boric acid.
Tomatoes: feeding nettle (video)
Opponents of such top dressing believe that any solutions created on the basis of alcohol tincture of pharmacy iodine do not have pronounced effectiveness, and their use in the hope of effectiveness often does not allow starting treatment with chemical preparations and causes the plant to die from an advanced form of the disease.