Bloodroot, or Kuril tea, is a plant that belongs to the species Pentaphylloides fruticosa (Potentilla floribunda, Dasiphora fruticosa). Previously, the five-leaf was used by merchants from the Far East. They mixed it in tea. Now the plant is actively used for medicinal purposes and as a decorative one.
The Kuril tea got its name due to the fact that before it was used up to the Kuril Islands. In nature, the plant can be seen in the meadows, on the shores of lakes and rivers. The leaves of the bush resemble a palm with 5 or 7 fingers. Their surface is soft, fleecy. The branches of annual growths of the plant are pubescent, and the old branches have a reddish tint.
The shape of the bush is spherical, the crown is thick, the diameter is more than a meter. The most beautiful Kuril tea during flowering is from June to September. It has impressive flowers - up to 3 cm in diameter, whose petals are shiny, bright yellow.
The main types of plants
Shrubby cinquefoil has a lot of species - there are over half a thousand of them. All varieties bloom for a long time and abundantly, for which gardeners love them. Therefore, they are often found in hedges and borders.
The main types of cinquefoil are presented in the table.
All types of cinquefoil include many varieties. There are a lot of them, so we will consider the most famous of them.
Features of the planting of cinquefoil
Planting of cinquefoil on the site is carried out in stages. First you need to choose the right place under the bush. It should be sunny, but it is better if the sun actively shines on the plant only in the morning, otherwise the petals of the bushes will burn out. In partial shade, the cinquefoil may completely refuse to bloom.
The soil for the plant must be nutritious and loose. Experienced gardeners sow seeds directly to the garden. But for beginners it is better to first grow seedlings. Landing is carried out from late February to late March.
Plant Care Rules
Care for the cinquefoil implies compliance with a number of rules. They are simple, only pruning can cause problems, but if you adapt, the plants will transform any garden plot.
Bloodroot: spring pruning (video)
Feeding and watering
Shingles tolerate drought, but in order to remain decorative, it is necessary to monitor how the soil "feels". To do this, water it at least once every 15 days. Wherein about 11 liters of water are introduced under each bush. She must be warm.
Grassy and other species of potentilla are fed immediately after planting with a frequency of 3 times per season. To do this, use a solution of mullein and ash, or complex mineral fertilizer. A good option is extracting vermicompost.
How to prepare for winter
The cultivation of cinquefoil also involves preparing it for winter. But this applies only to young seedlings. Them cover in advance with burlap before the onset of the cold season, otherwise the bushes will freeze. Over time, yellow and red cinquefoils become more frost-resistant.
How does plant propagation occur?
- In the garden, the bush is easiest to propagate by layering. For this, an escape is taken, incised and placed in the ground. They pin him, and when he takes root, they transplant him to a permanent place.
- Another method is propagation by cuttings. They are prepared since spring: the lower leaves are removed, put in a solution of Kornevin. When a root is formed, the plant is rooted in the soil. It is important to cover it with a glass jar and periodically spray.
- You can get a potentilla from seeds. Harvest them in the summer. First, the seeds are collected, then dried and laid out on paper bags. You can use them for several years. Planting seeds should be correct - just distribute them over the ridge, but do not fall asleep with earth, otherwise they will not sprout.
- Cinquefoil can also give self-seeding. In this case, new small plants are carefully dug up and planted together on a specially prepared garden bed. After a couple of years, they can be planted in a permanent place.
- Hybrid, dwarf and other types of cinquefoil can also multiply by dividing the bush. In this case, the process is separated from the mother plant, and then moved to a permanent place.
Useful properties of cinquefoil
The cinquefoil is actively used not only in landscape design, but also in medicine. This is due to its beneficial properties. Using a plant, you can cure diseases such as:
- various types of colitis;
Among other things, a decoction of grass copes with cramps and suffocation. Also, a decoction from the plant helps to cure ulcerative stomatitis, in which case they gargle with it.
Features of the use of cinquefoil in landscape design
Perennial cinquefoil is actively used in decorative gardening. The scope of its application in this case depends on the variety. As a rule, a plant is planted in mixborders or in groups.
Low pink, yellow and white cinquefoil look great in alpine hills and rockeries. In flower beds they can be combined with other plants. In some cases, in the open ground, cinquefoil is used to create hedges.
The best combinations of potentilla and other plants
What flower can become a neighbor of the cinquefoil? To mixborders and alpine slides looked like pictures, a five-leaf can be combined with:
The yellow bush looks great with hyssop and catnip. Plants with blue and white flowers will become his wonderful neighbors. In groups, cinquefoil can be combined with bulbs and cysticis, snowberry.
Kuril tea: useful properties (video)
The cinquefoil is not only an ornamental, but also a medicinal shrub, which is not particularly difficult to grow. And a huge number of varieties allows you to use it as a decor for various design ideas.