The key to successful cultivation of spathiphyllum in indoor floriculture is primarily compliance with agricultural technology. Spathiphyllum at home is unpretentious, but needs to provide a fairly comfortable environment, which guarantees abundant and very attractive, long flowering.
Planting and growing rules
Spathiphyllum is a perennial evergreen and belongs to the Aroid family. Some varieties of spathiphyllum are grown as houseplants. It is very important to properly prepare the soil and plant Spathiphyllum in an optimum-sized flower pot:
- the soil for growing the plant must have sufficient friability, which will ensure unhindered penetration of air and water to the root system;
- good considered to be a landing mixture based on equal parts of humus, leafy soil, coniferous soil and soddy soil;
- the use of ready-made flower soil with not too high acidity is allowed;
- It is very important to provide the root system of the ornamental plant with high-quality drainage, which will protect the roots from the negative effects of moisture stagnation;
- if necessary, to plant or transplant indoor culture, you should use a flower pot, the dimensions of which are slightly larger than the previous one.
The best option is to transplant or plant spathiphyllum in the spring. It is very important to remember that the indoor flower negatively reacts to damage to the root system, therefore, it is necessary to extract the plant from the flower pot very carefully and carefully, leaving the root system in maximum safety.
The depth of immersion of the plant during planting and transplanting depends on the objectives pursued by the grower. To obtain an abundantly flowering plant, you can not deepen the floral outlet. However, deep planting of Spathiphyllum allows the reproduction of flower culture at home as soon as possible.
How to transplant spathiphyllum (video)
How to propagate a plant
The following varieties of spathiphyllum are very popular and in demand in indoor floriculture:
- Spathiphyllum Floribundum or flowering;
- Spathiphyllum Cannifolium or Cannellifolia;
- Wallis or Spathiphyllum Wallisii;
- Spathiphyllum heliconious.
Propagating Spathiphyllum on its own is fairly easy. There are several simple but highly effective ways. To get a flowering plant, you should adhere to the standard propagation technology:
- Seed propagation in conditions of indoor floriculture is extremely rare. In order to obtain seed material, it will be necessary to carry out mandatory artificial pollination and collect seeds fully ripened, which have very low germination rates.
- Rooting of cuttings in moist sand under conditions of strict observance of temperature and water conditions it is used more often. The rooted cuttings of Spathiphyllum should be planted in individual planting containers or in a special greenhouse.
Experts recommend periodically dividing the adult bush, which prevents the thickening of spathiphyllum and improves the growth and development of indoor culture. The event is quite simple and consists in the separation of roots with processes. Land for planting should consist of sand, peat, humus and leafy soil, mixed in a ratio of 1: 2: 2: 2.
Improving drainage contributes to the introduction of brick chips. Soil acidity can be balanced by adding coniferous soil. Immediately after planting, water the plant. It is necessary to provide decent follow-up care to the spathiphyllum, including irrigation measures, top dressing, pruning and prevention of disease or pest damage.
How to prune a plant
Spathiphyllum does not have a stem, and the leaves that grow from the rhizome are characterized by an elongated lanceolate shape. The peduncle also moves away from the root system. On the apical part of the peduncles flowers form, resembling small cobs in shape. The main decoration of the culture is a white bract, which covers the flower itself as a blanket. The flowering period depends on varietal characteristics.
In general, caring for a plant is not complicated and involves the regular removal of leaves and peduncles. Trimming decorative culture is necessary in a timely manner. With blooming spathiphyllum It is very important to remove absolutely all faded peduncles, which allows to stimulate the emergence of new ones and favorably affects the duration of flowering. All old, dried or diseased leaves also need regular pruning. If the tips of the leaves dry in the plant, then they need to be cut a little with sharp and clean scissors to the green healthy part.
Is it possible to plant a plant on the street
For the summer period, such decorative crops as calla lilies, hippeastrum and zephyranthes most often land in the open ground. Nevertheless, it is possible to land on the street in summer well-known amateur gardeners Spathiphyllum. Indoor spathiphyllum or "female happiness" is quite easy to take root when transplanted into the open ground.
Spathiphyllum: care and reproduction (video)
The main thing in caring for this ornamental plant is the absence of negative effects of direct sunlight and the correct irrigation regime. If it is possible to provide such comfortable conditions to the spathiphyllum in the open ground, then the entire summer period the plant will be decorated with a garden plot. However, at the risk of morning frosts, indoor culture must be returned to home conditions.